Friday, September 12, 2014

Sugar Showpiece


    This week was full of blood, sweat, and tears. Well maybe just some blisters. Sugar showpiece week was a really tough week, but we all got through it and I am so proud of my whole class. I think that everyone did an amazing job!

Let me tell you a little bit about making a sugar showpiece. After figuring out what you want your showpiece to look like you melt together sugar, water, and glucose (and coloring if you choice), to a 165 degrees Celsius which is 329 degrees Fahrenheit. You are probably thinking that, that is extremely hot. Well it is! It is insanely hot.






 Once you pour it on the Silpat, you wait a little bit and start folding the outside(the cooling edges) to the middle. This helps that middle to start cooling as well. Just like the picture on the left.








Then you start pulling it and folding it on top like the picture shown on the right. You have to do this quickly or else is will get too cold. This is hard to do since your hands are on fire.




















This is my showpiece! The roses look a little more orange than the do in person. I wanted to make yellow roses because they were my grandma's favorite! There is also a hummingbird hovering over the roses!











This is Chef Joel Reno's showpiece! I thought it was amazing!

These are all the showpieces everyone made!




1 comment:

  1. Everything looks awesome Angelina! Can't wait for you to make me some goodies ;) keep up the good work, were all proud of you!

    ReplyDelete